For all those who are interested in gaming, hardware companies these days have launched a number of added special gaming hardware that promises to make the gaming process one of ease, fun and convenience. These range from gaming keyboards to gaming mice and headsets. However, the one addition that is possibly most important for gamers is to have the best router for gaming. These routers are designed to improve the gaming experience of players and to provide accurate speed as well as a detailed, improved reliability when it comes to connectivity.
In this day and age, almost everyone uses a Wi-Fi internet connection. However, it is a mistake to believe that the internet speed will be steady and fast while using a wireless connectivity. The highest efficiency when it comes to using the internet arises when one is connected to a hardware modem. Since that is obviously inconvenient, the next best option is to invest in a router. Routers are crucial for gaming and for the use of other advanced applications. The best wireless routers for gaming are those that are equipped with a dual band. It ensures faster speed, greater signal strength and remote area access.
In this article we take a look at some of the more popular wifi routers for gaming by considering their features and reviews.
Comparing The Top 3 Routers for Gaming
When it comes to gaming routers, it is important to be able to choose the one that is both efficient and offers a higher speed. Not only does the model determine the gaming access but it also provides features such as parental controls, multiple-user access and fast live streaming processes. In this section we take a look at three gaming routers that the wireless router reviews have touted as the best.
Top 3 Routers for Gaming Reviews
When it comes to gaming routers, it is important to compare the different models available on the market. In order to choose the best gaming router available, this section takes a look at the reviews for the top 3 models in the market today. While the reviews are taken mostly from users, this section also lists down the lesser known but equally important features of each of the gaming routers.
D-Link AC3200 Ultra Wi-Fi Router (DIR-890L/R)
For all those interested in gaming, this is the best wifi router in the market. Since speed is one of the biggest concerns of nay serious gaming participant, this is one of the most effective hardware applications that one can invest in. This is because of the high speed that is guaranteed by the company.
The top reasons to invest in this device are:
- It streams HD multimedia across the home in a fast and uninterrupted pace making it the best router for gaming. The Wifi speed that the D-Link AC3200 offers is up to 3200 Mbps.
- The efficiency of the device is unrivalled as the smart connect feature prevents older devices from affecting the performance.
- The advanced AC Smart Beam feature ensures that dead zones can be brought back to its functional potential by delivering individual beams of bandwidth where it is needed most.
- One of the primary reasons that this is the best router for gaming is that is offers remote access and management. This means that the network can be accessed from tablets, smartphones and i-Pads for an optimal gaming experience anywhere.
- The model comes with 6 high performance antennae that is instrumental in providing maximum network range around the home.
When it comes to investing in any device, it is important to look at both the pros and the cons of every feature. In case of the D-Link router, these are:
- Pros: The device is one of the fastest routers in the world of gaming hardwares right now. The service that the D-Link provides is also one of the finest and caters to almost every demand of the consumer. Furthermore, it is reliable and has a superior internal mechanism that allows for faster computing.
- Cons: As with everything, the D-Link router has some disadvantageous features as well. Many reviews speak of how the router has a limited network bandwidth and cannot fully support many computers together.
Despite its disadvantages, however, the D-Link Gaming router’s reviews label is as the best wifi router that is available.
ASUS RT-AC87U Wireless-AC2400 Dual Band Gigabit Router
The ASUS gaming router is one of the best as it allows the user to access, sync and stream files anywhere on any network. The reviews for this product speak highly of its speed and signal strength and have called it it the best wireless router for gaming.
It has been dubbed one of the best wireless routers for gaming because it allows not only for high speed but also for high and superior quality.
Some of the top features of the system are:
- The fast 11 ac wifi router comes equipped with a data rate of 2334 Mbps. This allows for a smoother video playback with a fast- file sharing system that is optimal for online gaming.
- The antenna is of superior built and designed with the AiRadar universal beam-forming for unparalleled multi-device performance making it the best wireless router for gaming.· The same feature allow for wireless coverage up to 5000 feet and is a blessing for anyone who is prone to traveling.
- The built-in USB ports offer 10 times faster data transfers and allow for printer sharing as well as 3G/4G dongle support. · As far as security goes, the device is equipped with an AiProtection triple-strength security system. It also allows for parental controls and a well developed privacy protection system.As with the D-Link model, the ASUS model too has its share of pros and cons. Any serious gaming enthusiast should be aware of both sides of the coin before making an informed decision.
Some of the pros and cons of the model are:
- Pros: The reviews for the ASUS model speak highly of its efficiency and speed. The new model is said to be a superior improvement on the older one and the resultant is a system that takes less than 20 minutes to setup. For those who have an sloping leveled house, the router has proven to be one of the best as it provides internet coverage over large distances.
- Cons: One of the major flaws that the ASUS model is said to have is that it does not allow for downloads that are more than 1MB. This is a problem that has afflicted a lot of buyers and they complain of a gradual malfunction after 3-4 months of use. While investing in the ASUS, it might be a good idea to consult the local hardware store and/or any nearby store that provides the latest gaming technologies.
Linksys WRT AC1900 Dual-Band+ Wi-Fi Wireless Router with Gigabit & USB 3.0 Ports and eSATA
The third model that we consider for the gaming routers review is the Linksys WRT AC1900. The router is one of the best in the market as it has a number of features that support an online gaming experience and is one of the best gaming routers in the market today.
Some of these features are:
- The model boasts of a dual-band speed of up to 600 Mbps. It also has an additional speed of 1300 Mbps for the media-intensive applications, thereby making it one of the best gaming routers.
- The supreme Wi-Fi signal strength is ensured by 4 powerful antennae that are perfect for operation in multi-level homes.· Furthermore, the Dual Core CPU allows for multiple users to use the same game application simultaneously. Files can be transferred and movies streamed without lagging.
- The Linksys model allows for users to prioritize devices or websites and also allow for a parental control over content as well as monitoring network activity. Wi-fi access can be regulated and protected with passwords.
- The model also boasts of a map network that offers a visual map of the home network. For any outside user, this can be a greatly convenient tool.· The eSATA delivers optimal data transfer speeds that can accommodate a USB 2.0 port for superior performance.
As with the other models, there is a need to consider the pros and cons of the Linksys router as well. These are:
- Cons: The Linksys WRT AC1900 WiFi Gigabit USB 3.0 Router Reviews boast of its effectiveness in larger homes and offices. The coverage is touted to be one of the best and it supports major applications with accurate speed. It is easy to handle and the manufacturers have included instruction sets that are easy to follow and installation takes less than 5 minutes only. All of this makes the Linksys model one of the best gaming routers.
- Cons: As with every model, the Linksys router has its own share of flaws. The router sometimes runs into problems while setting up and cannot support some of the applications that are advanced.
On the whole, the Linksys reviews focus on its myriad advantages far more than its disadvantages. The pros of the system are not only geared towards a better user experience but also ensure accuracy and higher speed.
Gaming Routers: What to Look For While Choosing the Best
When it comes to selecting gaming routers, one should be careful to consider a wide variety of categories and requirements.
While choosing the best gaming router, one must be sure to consider the following:
- Network Coverage Area: The first thing that should be ascertained while selecting a router is the area that needs the network coverage. For those houses that are large or have asymmetrical topographies, the router that should be chosen is one with an amplifier or a good, reliable strength. While speed is definitely a factor, one must always keep in mind that maximum coverage in these cases is a priority.
- Speed: The second most important thing after strength is speed. The more advanced models offer limits of up to 600 Mbps while the older ones offer a 300 Mbps speed. While selecting a router it is important to ascertain that the speed supports the existing internet connection. Some of the aspects that should be looked at before making a decision are:
- It is important to remember that a 5 GHz provides a weaker signal than a 2.4 Ghz especially when the area of reception is further away from the router.
- If for some reason, one needs to use both a G and an N router system together, they can invest in a dual band that allows for the use of both without any interruptions or interference. The speed remains steady with the aid of these bands and one can get the best of both worlds
- Networking Options (N or G): Many of the devices support an 802.11 N system while others support an 11 G one. While opting for a router, it is important to make sure that the router is compatible with the device specifications. If an 11 N is paired with a 11 G, for instance, the speed is greatly reduced.
- Attributes: It is natural to want to choose the best wireless gaming router that the market has to offer. While looking for the best router, it is important to focus on the added attributes of the device. That is to say, while the speed and strength are the most important aspects of any router; one should also look at whether or not there are features that provide for optimised, streamlined performance, added parental controls, security options and other added benefits.
- iPv6 Compatibility: In order for the gaming router to be top notch, it is important that the router is iPv6 compatible. For those whose ISP provides native iPv6 over PPPoE, it is crucial that the router is iPv6 compatible.
- Live Testing: One of the problems with online shopping when it comes to routers is that there is no scope of real life testing. While the specifications might be aligned theoretically, a real time application might be entirely different from the one on paper. In these cases, the best way to make a smart choice is by testing the router real time. In addition to this there are various models of comparative charts available that test different router models against each other for an optimized performance.
- Assistance in the case of Encryption: When it comes to encryption, one might run into problems related to setting up of the hardware and syncing it with a corresponding internet module. Since many of the routers come with a WPA encryption, one might need professional assistance in order to set it up. In some cases, however, the manufacturers provide adequate material to facilitate an all-round set up.
- Compatibility: While choosing a router, the compatibility factor must be kept in mind. In order to do this one must look at a few things such as:
- The easiest way to test for compatibility is brand name matching. In order to do this one must cross check the tag on the network card with that of the router. While there is no hard and fast rule regarding brand name matching, it is normally compatible and if not, the manufacturers offer adapters to facilitate the same.
- When it comes to choosing the correct router in the gaming world, it is a good idea to match the specifications of the video games with the router. Many routers offer good coverage area strength but lag in terms of speed. If one has a list of requirements that priorities speed over coverage, it is a smart decision to choose gaming routers accordingly.
5 Best Gaming Routers Recommendations
The best gaming routers are those that perform optimally when it comes to both speed and signal strength.
The few features that are a must have in a gaming router are:
- Good ranges and network coverage
- Easy setups and convenient manageability
- Good basic features
- Advanced attributes that can improve the gaming experience exponentially
- A good security
Keeping this in mind this section takes a look at the top 5 best gaming routers in the market today. These are:
|Product||Wired Ports||Networking Options||IPv6 compatible||Customer Rating||Editor Rating|
|D-Link AC3200||4||802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11a, 802.11n (2.4 GHz only), 802.11ac||Yes||4.3/5||
|ASUS RT-AC87U||4||802.11n (2.4+5 GHz Dualband)||Yes||3.7/5||
|Linksys WRT AC1900||4 (excluding WAN)||802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n (2.4+5 GHz Dualband), 802.11ac draft||yes||4/5||
|NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 AC3200||4 (excluding WAN)||802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n (2.4+5 GHz Dualband), 802.11ac (2.4+5.0 GHz Dual-band)||yes||4.1/5 (839 reviews)||
|TRENDnet AC3200||4 (excluding WAN)||802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n (2.4+5 GHz Dualband), 802.11ac draft||yes||4.3/5 (26 reviews)||
One of the most important aspects of choosing the best gaming router is to go by customer reviews. While many of the reviews are posted online, it might be more reliable to talk to friends and co-workers who avail of the same or similar router. The areas that should be considered- as has been outlined in the previous section- must be verified closely before investing in any one router.
Furthermore, charts and other systematic comparing modules might be employed before one has to make any fixed decision. On the whole, while a gaming router provides many benefits it is also liable to certain pitfalls such as loss in efficiency after a few moths post installation. Due to cases such as these there is a need to be thorough when it comes to researching the best wireless routers in the market. The models that have been discussed in this article are not only reliable but also promise to transform one’s gaming experience in an unrivaled manner. All in all, one should be cautious and well researched before investing in any gaming router. Also make sure you constantly check out our newest reviews for gaming routers and keep an eye out on our blog for giveaways and contests!